6.11 Target-specific Variable Values

From: ali hagigat
Subject: 6.11 Target-specific Variable Values
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:22:31 +0430

6.11 Target-specific Variable Values
All variables that appear within the variable-assignment are evaluated
within the context of the target: thus, any previously-defined
target-specific variable values will be in effect. Note that this
variable is actually distinct from any “global” value: the two
variables do not have to have the same flavor (recursive vs. static).
I wonder if anybody can explain the above extract of the make manual.
1) What is the context of a target exactly?
2) "thus, any previously-defined target-specific variable values will
be in effect.", please write an example for that.
3) "the two variables do not have to have the same flavor", This
sentence means that for a global variable we have to have the same
flavor!!, would you please write an example?