make funct in recipe sees shell var as one word (but is space delim list

From: gnu_make0
Subject: make funct in recipe sees shell var as one word (but is space delim list)
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 08:57:49 -0500

pls consider:

  $ cat makefile
  .PHONY : yip

  yip :
          pip="alpha beta gamma";\
          echo "$(foreach foo,word-one $$pip,everyloop $(foo))"
            # make interpolates $$pip into a single word (spaces ignored!)
  $ make
  pip="alpha beta gamma";\
          echo "everyloop word-one everyloop $pip"
  everyloop word-one everyloop alpha beta gamma
  # make interpolates $pip into a single word (spaces ignored!)

Is there a way to convince make to see $$pip within the foreach as
three separate words?

--
Assume I need to use the make foreach function in the recipe, and
that this function must somehow use the shell var pip to define

The solution needs to work for GNU make 3.80.

--
thanks/regards,
Tom