Re: make funct in recipe sees shell var as one word (but is space delim

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make funct in recipe sees shell var as one word (but is space delim list)
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 13:47:49 -0400

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 08:57 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Assume I need to use the make foreach function in the recipe, and
> that this function must somehow use the shell var pip to define
> it's second arg.

What you are asking for is not possible, as described.

foreach runs inside make.  The variable exists in the shell.  Make will
completely evaluate the recipe then give it to the shell to run.  This
operation is strictly one way, and serial.  There's no "two-way
communication" where the shell can give back information to make that it
can use when it does more evaluation later.