Re: secondexpansion of requisite list for non-existing file

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: secondexpansion of requisite list for non-existing file
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:30:33 -0400

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 20:00 -0700, Mathieu Zhang wrote:
> So, using .SECONDEXPANSION to make a requisite list seems to drop all
> those that do not exist and make doesn't know the rule to make it. I
> want make to instead give up and throw me an error that says the
> requisite doesn't exist and it doesn't know how to make it instead so
> that I am reminded to make it manually.

I don't think .SECONDEXPANSION has anything to do with this.

The behavior of pattern rules is always that if the prerequisites do not
exist and make cannot compute a way to make them, then the rule is
ignored and the next pattern is checked.

If no pattern rules match, then make throws an error that it doesn't
know how to make the target.

You don't get an error that make doesn't know how to make the pattern
prerequisites.