Profiling a "make" invocation

From: Mark Marshall
Subject: Profiling a "make" invocation
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:46:15 +0100

Hi.

I have a fairly large project that is built using make. It takes a few minutes to build, and I'm interested in where this time is going. Is there a standard way to profile a make run? This seems like it's a problem that should have been solved by now (as it seems that it should be a fairly common request).

I have managed to cobble something hacky together by stracing'ing make and then stitching the results back together, but it's not nice, slows things down, and only gives me some information. Really, I'd like to know wall time, cpu time and io-wait time for each sub-process / command that make runs.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not interested in profiling the actual make executable, but rather the processes that it runs, 50% in gcc, 40% in as, 10% in ld, etc...).

Thanks for any advice,

Mark M.

PS.
If such a feature isn't in make, would it be feasible to add it as an option?