.INTERMEDIATE directory

From: Lane Schwartz
Subject: .INTERMEDIATE directory
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:02:50 -0400

I was wondering if there's any way to specify a temporary directory
(and its contents) as INTERMEDIATE.

Here's an example:

foo: /tmp/bar
    touch $@

.INTERMEDIATE: /tmp/bar
/tmp/bar:
    mkdir -p $@

$ make
mkdir -p /tmp/bar
touch foo
rm /tmp/bar

make: unlink: /tmp/bar: Is a directory

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to specify that INTERMEDIATE
files should be removed with rm -rf instead of rm. I assume there's no
way to do this, but I thought I'd check. Some of my make files
generate very large intermediate temporary directories, and it would
be nice to have a mechanism to have them automatically deleted. The
semantics of INTERMEDIATE are exactly what I want, except for the fact
that it deletes with rm instead of rm -rf.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Lane