Re: How to detect program path?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to detect program path?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:07:20 +0300

> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:27:51 +0800
> From: narke <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 15 August 2011 21:01, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:38:29 +0800
> >> From: narke <address@hidden>
> >> Cc: address@hidden

> >> Yes, but it has to ask users to add the programs into the PATH.
> >
> > If the program is not on PATH, then you invoke it from Make by its
> > full file name with leading directories, right?  In that case, using
> > the `realpath' or `abspath' functions of Make will do what you want.
> >

> No. What I want is to find out the real path of an executable by the
> Makefile itself.

I hope I made myself clear in that `realpath' and `abspath' are
internal Make functions that can be invoked by the Makefile itself.
But if they don't fit the bill, please show a fragment of a Makefile
that invokes the compiler, whose absolute file name you want to
determine, and also tell what do you want to do with this absolute
file name, i.e. what is the purpose of getting its absolute file name.