Stuck at 3.80 for .SECONDARY reasons

From: Paljas
Subject: Stuck at 3.80 for .SECONDARY reasons
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 03:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

How do I get 3.81 and up to not remove targets that have been identified as
intermediate?

In 3.80 we used the .SECONDARY (with empty dependency list), which did that,
without tagging other targets as intermediate. This is actually not
consistent with the documentation; the doc states that:

[quote].SECONDARY with no prerequisites causes all targets to be treated as
secondary (i.e., no target is removed because it is considered
intermediate).[/quote]

...and as such implicitely treats them as intermediate. So 3.80 is not doing
that, it only treats the targets that are already intermediate as secondary,
it just happens to be an easy way in 3.80 to prevent make from removing any
intermediate targets, without explicitely mentioning which ones. The
.SECONDARY behavior was fixed in 3.81; it now tags every target as
intermediate. This is not desired behavior for me (I would not expect anyone
to actually want to use it that way).

I've been staying at 3.80 for ages now, because of its behavior with
.SECONDARY. It's actually not consistent with the manual, which is fixed in
3.81 and up, but we (ab)use it heavily. However, I keep running into other
3.80 bugs occasionally and I hope to be able to move at some point.

Any suggestions?