Re: Targets not being built

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Targets not being built
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:01:20 -0500

As I said before:

> Since you don't show us the values of the variables you're using in
> the example it's impossible to say.

By that I also mean things like the SLASH variable, etc.  Creating a
small, completely self-contained makefile (and either attaching it or
using a mail client that lets you send it without reformatting) is the
best way to show what's going on.

The output in your first mail shows clearly that the pattern rules
you've declared are NOT being consulted by make when it tries to build
this prerequisites; otherwise you'd see that in the -d output.  Since we
don't know what these variables expand to we can't tell why these
patterns are not matching.  You can also run make with the -p option to
print the database, then look at what make thinks the pattern rules are
after it's expanded the variables and see if it's obvious why they don't
match.

Be aware it's very problematic to use backslashes in makefiles.  We
strongly urge you to always use forward-slashes in your makefiles, even
on Windows (it works 99% of the time).

Finally, you might try asking on the address@hidden list, where people
with more experience in using GNU make on Windows hang out.