Re: Is my Makefile okay?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Is my Makefile okay?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:28:07 -0800

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Pelias <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to GNU make so I would like to know if I made any mistakes in the way
>> I have written my Makefile.
>> One thing I'm not sure whether to append -DDEBUG/-DNDEBUG to CPPFLAGS or to
>> CFLAGS.
>
> If your make file is using both C and C++ files (and using implicit
> rules), you will want to apply DEBUG/NDEBUG to both. Otherwise, use
> CFLAGS for C and CPPFLAGS for C++.

Not quite: the "CPP" in CPPFLAGS does not stand for "C++" but rather
for "C preprocessor".  In the built-in rules, CPPFLAGS is part of the
commands for both C and C++.  The variable that is passed to the C++
compiler but not the C compiler is CXXFLAGS.

So, if you want to pass a -D option to the C and C++ compiler, add it
to CPPFLAGS.

Philip Guenther