Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?

From: Michael Ludwig
Subject: Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:03:41 +0100

Mark Galeck schrieb am 11.02.2013 um 12:44 (-0800):
> So you want the users to be able to delete intermediate files, and I
> tell them " that is not supported". […]
>
> By "not supported", what I tell my users is, "I know you will take
> shortcuts and do things you are not supposed to do, that's OK, as long
> as you understand what you are doing and understand that I won't
> unscrew you if you mess up - in that case, use clean and redo the full
> build".  That is what clean is for.

delete intermediary files = overcome local roadblock
make clean                = nuke the whole place

So if the whole place takes a long time to build up, why nuke it?

> In fact I tell them, to _not_ use clean for any other purpose - if
> they _think_ the build "is not working", inform me so I can see what
> is happpening.  Of course they also don't do that, they clean first
> and ask questions later.

:)

> Yes I tell them to use clean - ONLY, when they have messed up as I
> told them not to.

So, a user deletes some intermediary files, thereby potentially messes
up and consequently will have to nuke the whole place. I would probably
do just that to overcome any uncertainty; on the other hand, I would
prefer a system that does not require me to nuke the whole place if
rebuilding it takes more than a minute. But then, I'm not really a build
system expert so I might just be plain wrong.

Best,

Michael