Re: Looking for well-logged Make output

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: Looking for well-logged Make output
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:01:27 +0200

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Alex Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was hoping there would be a way for Make to continue or halt based on
> the presence of a file _and_ its respective exit status log - i.e. the file
> and the declaration that the file's good.  Is this outside the scope of
> known Makes?

In a way that's what it does because only one exit status really counts for
anything: code 0. If it exits with code zero, do like Marin suggested:
touch $@

If it doesn't exit cleanly, the file won't be updated, so it will be out of
date on the next run. i did something similar to implement steps of a
long-running db anonymization process some years ago - it could run for
days at a time and be interrupted by, as you say, menial things. In my
case, each step of the process had a tag file associated with it ("step1",
"step17", etc.). On successful completion of the step, its file would be
created. That also allowed us, aside from error recovery, to easily
abort/continue the process at logic transition points in the process, as
well as "fake" steps by creating their marker files manually.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/