Need help with GNU make: "No rule to make target"

From: Burri, Jeremy
Subject: Need help with GNU make: "No rule to make target"
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 21:50:22 +0000

I have been using make v3.80 under RHEL4 to build my code for years and
recently upgraded to make v3.81 and RHEL5.  When I did the upgrade I
encountered a problem with one of my  make files that I cannot resolve.  Here
is the relevant excerpt from the make file:

all: test_rvfft2d

test_%: test_%.c $(INC) $(LIBVLIB)
                                       $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< $(LDOPTS) -o $@

When I run "make all" I get the following under RHEL5 with make v3.81:

Make: *** No rule to make target 'tst_rvfft2d', needed by 'all'. Stop.

This same make file works fine under RHEL4 with make v3.80.

If I replace the "%" with "rvfft2d" the executable will build, but this is one
of roughly a hundred tests apps that need to build and I don't want to include
an explicit rule for each of them.

Can you provide me with any insight into this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Jeremy