Re: Recursive implicit rule chain sometimes works

From: Reinier Post
Subject: Re: Recursive implicit rule chain sometimes works
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:53:09 +0100

On Wed Nov 19 13:51:44 2014, address@hidden (Luke Goodsell) wrote:
> $ make --version
> GNU Make 3.81
> Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> This program built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>
> Hi,
>
> Using the above version of make, I'm encountering an issue whereby [...]
I would very much appreciate your assistance to avoid this problem.

I can reproduce your problem on a Ubuntu 12.04 host (which runs 3.81).

These Linux distributions should have been carrying 3.82 a long time ago.
This keeps rearing its head on this mailing list.

To fix it, do this:

  cd /tmp
  wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.82.tar.gz
  tar xvf make-3.82.tar.gz
  ./configure && sudo make install
  which make

This should now say

   /usr/local/bin/make

Then retry.  The problem was gone for me.
While you're at it, use 4.1 instead of 3.82; I tried 4.1 as well
and it doesn't have this problem, either.

If you have no root access, use something like

  ./configure --prefix=$HOME

instead (and put $HOME/bin in your $PATH).

--
Reinier Post