Re: patch for a new function $(md5 )

From: Tim Murphy
Subject: Re: patch for a new function $(md5 )
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 06:38:54 +0000

Hi,

This is just an opinion - doesn't carry any weight with the maintainers so
take it as such:

A Plugin?
-------------
I suggest that this is an idea candidate for a gmake plugin to be loaded
with the new(ish) "load" directive.  This way you can implement it and
people can use it without having to have a great debate about whether it
really truly fits in the core gmake.  If it proves to be widely used and
useful then it's more obvious to the maintainers that they might want to
make it a part of the default in future.

How it Works
---------------------
If it was me, I'd want to do $(md5 $(cat file1 file2)) preferably so that
it can be used in other situations e.g. to make a unique directory name
that's based on some other pair of paths that would be too long if joined
together..  If this doesn't seem feasible because one wants to md5 huge
binary files (seems a bit of a dubious thing to do during parsing) then I
think it should be $(md5file file1 file1) to indicate precisely what the
input is and that it's not useful for my use cases - only yours.

I can also imagine wanting to use something a lot faster and simpler than
md5 if I was purely interested in hashing and not in cryptographic security
of the hash - e.g. murmur.

Regards,

Tim