Re: How to interpret commands between colon and first tab ?

From: Ewan Delanoy
Subject: Re: How to interpret commands between colon and first tab ?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 18:46:06 +0100

   > The above introduces a rule "all:" which has no prerequisites and no
   recipe

   But some 70 lines after that "all:", a tab-at-beginning-of-line
   appears,  before the declaration of the next target. It appears as
   follow :

     CXX_FOR_TARGET_FLAG_TO_PASS = \
   [TAB CHARACTER HERE]    "CXX_FOR_TARGET=$(CXX_FOR_TARGET)"
   # CXX_FOR_TARGET is tricky to get right for target libs that require a
   # functional C++ compiler.  When we recurse, if we expand
     In that situation, this tab does not indicate a recipe then ?

   >These rest are just variable assignments, using the ":=" simple
   variable assignment syntax.

    Sure, but the thing I wanted to know is whether the command inside the
    backticks gets executed when the variable is assigned, or not ? It
   would be in
    shell syntax. In makefile syntax I don't know