Help on command overriding

From: Thomas Martitz
Subject: Help on command overriding
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 10:48:27 +0100

Hello,

I would like to accomplish overriding commands without getting the warning "warning: overriding recipe for target".

The makefile I'm working with is generated (by automake). I want to override its target commands.

Essentially, my Makefile looks like

libfoo.la: $(libfoo_la_OBJECTS) $(libfoo_la_DEPENDENCIES) $(EXTRA_libfoo_la_DEPENDENCIES)

local_targets = libfoo.la
$(local_targets):
  $(MAKE) -C .. foo/$@

The default behavior is to ignore the first recipes and only execute the latter. This is exactly what I want, however make always issues the warning:
Makefile:1219: warning: overriding recipe for target 'libfoo.la'
Makefile:762: warning: ignoring old recipe for target 'libfoo.la'

Is there a better way to do this, or at least a way to disable the warning (ideally only for the libfoo.la target)?

PS: I know that if I write out "libfoo.la:" verbatim, then automake will not generate the automatic rules for libfoo.la. However, in my system I need the indirection via $(local_targets) which automake doesn't evaluate.

Best regards.