Re: how to (correctly) modify GNU Make so that separate shell is always

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: Re: how to (correctly) modify GNU Make so that separate shell is always spawned for each command
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 06:54:42 +0000 (UTC)

>       Except by explicit request, `make' exports a variable only if it is

    either defined in the environment initially or set on the command line,
    and ***if its name consists only of letters, numbers, and underscores.***
    Some shells cannot cope with environment variable names consisting of
    characters other than letters, numbers, and underscores.

Yes thank you I missed this paragraph.  My bad.  I read the one above but did
not see this one.

>Well, the *real* simplest is to make the variable names conform to the
environment syntax, but that isn't always an option.

Yes I wish I could.  Intel's dpdk software makefiles are exporting variables
with dashes....  Auwe!!  I am not an Intel employee.
Turns out, variables with dashes, are accepted from GNU Make by some some
shells, not others.
Case in point, in works on dash 0.5.5.1.  But it turns out, what I was hacking,
was the latest dash, 0.5.8.  It does NOT work on that one...  I thought, I will
just grab the latest and go with it.  Bad mistake :)

Thank you everybody.

Mark