Re: Silent and verbose make

From: Emmanuel Mayssat
Subject: Re: Silent and verbose make
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 21:50:46 -0800

It seems to be possible with the .SILENT special target

$ cat Makefile
ifeq ($(V),0)
.SILENT:
endif

all: tata toto

toto:
echo 'hi'
tata:
echo 'hello'

$ make V=0 V=1 V=0 V=1

Now if you alias
make to make V=0
you have a silent make by default

To return to normal behavior, you can just
make V=1

Note that .SILENT is deprecated
It seems that make should have a command line option to return to the
verbose mode
That is
if I alias 'make' to let's say 'make -s VAR=123', then I could still run
make --verbose to return to the verbose mode....
Obviously if I run \make (to bypass the alias), I lose my other settings in
the alias.

Could this feature be implemented in the next minor version?

--
Emmanuel