Re: Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files

From: Jed Brown
Subject: Re: Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 15:19:05 -0700

Kristian <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the purpose of these intermediate test executables?

The executables are run as tests.  That is, the package is a library and
its functionality is tested by a bunch of example programs that link to
the library and exercise different functionality.  Those example
programs are sometimes run multiple times with different command line
options.

> Are they there for running tests? If yes, is ist possible to compile /
> create this test executable, run it, delete it, and then going to the
> next one?

Yes, we can just delete the executable as part of the test execution,
but when there are different tests using the same executable (each with
different command-line options), we don't want to delete after each run
but instead after all are done.  I was hoping to be able to use
.INTERMEDIATE for this.