Re: Problem with dependencies

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with dependencies
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:18:35 -0500

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 13:57 +0000, Robert Bannocks wrote:
> I hope the list can assist with a makefile problem.

At the time you define the "all:" rule:

> all: $(MANUALFILES)

The variable MANUALFILES has not yet been assigned:

> MANUALFILES=$(BASEDIR)/1.txt-manual $(BASEDIR)/2.txt-manual
> $(BASEDIR)/3.txt-manual

So at the time the "all" target is parsed MANUALFILES is empty, so the
result of the expansion of variables is just:

  all:

Since there are no prerequisites, when you run "make" or "make all"
there's nothing for make to do.

It's important to understand the way make expands variables; you can
read about it in the manual section "How make Reads a Makefile":

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Reading-Makefiles.html

PS. Please try to avoid adding long legal disclaimers to email sent to
our mailing lists.  They have no legal force, they don't make sense on
public lists, and they clutter things up and lead to concerns and
questions.

Thanks!