Re: easiest way to do simultaneous builds with different options from sa

From: Basin Ilya
Subject: Re: easiest way to do simultaneous builds with different options from same dir?
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 00:59:34 +0300

Hi Britton.

Assuming you have a Makefile like this:

    all: test.o

    clean:
        rm -rf *.o

    .PHONY: all clean

You can create two empty directories and perform make in each by setting VPATH
and build flags:

    $ make -f ../src/Makefile CFLAGS=-DBUILD_1 VPATH=../src
    cc -DBUILD_1   -c -o test.o ../src/test.c

The output file will be created in current dir, but the source will be found in
../src

The existing Makefile may be written so that not everything works with VPATH.

Or Better migrate to Autotools and use VPATH builds.