Re: Dependencies for clean rule

From: Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
Subject: Re: Dependencies for clean rule
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 13:42:15 -0700

On 2019-07-15 12:55, Erik Rull wrote:
Hi all,

I have several targets that depend on each other.
For cleaning them up, I have to take care that the clean dependencies are just
the other way round.

No, you don't have to, actually.

There is no concept of dependencies in cleaning. Cleaning means taking a list of objects that were produced by a build and deleting them. This can be done in any order. If foo.o has gone into libbar.a, which went into prog, we can delete
these in any order. Or just delete some of them but not others.

(If the dependencies in the build system are correct, it can recover from the
partial deletion of any arbitrary subset of the intermediate objects.)