Running one Makefile from another in an "isolated" way

From: Nikolay Shaplov
Subject: Running one Makefile from another in an "isolated" way
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:56:30 +0300

Hi!

I am trying to use make system to build and run some projects. Some META build
system.
But these projects also uses make build system, and when I am run one make
from another I am getting "No such file or directory" error, which is not
there when I am running same command from bash.

How to reproduce. I am working with postgres sources, so download latest
source, i.e. https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v13.0/
./confiugre it and in some separate dir write a Makefile that runs make form
the dir with the sources

all:
        make -C /home/nataraj/test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres

and then run make, it will finish with "No such file or directory" error.

If I run same command from bash, everything works well.

I also tried

cd /home/nataraj/test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres && make

and even

cd /home/nataraj/test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres && make -C /home/nataraj/
test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres

it does not work neither way.

My guess is that make have tendency to work in "recusive" way remembering
variables or something else across the runs. But here I need to make and
isolated run, so parent make session were isolated from child one. How can I
do this?

Thanks!

--
Software Developer: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~014a87e140ff02c0da