Re: Running one Makefile from another in an "isolated" way

From: Nikolay Shaplov
Subject: Re: Running one Makefile from another in an "isolated" way
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 13:14:25 +0300

В письме от среда, 28 октября 2020 г. 0:07:36 MSK пользователь Philip Guenther
написал:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 5:38 AM Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan@nataraj.su> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am trying to use make system to build and run some projects. Some META
> > build
> > system.
> > But these projects also uses make build system, and when I am run one make
> > from another I am getting "No such file or directory" error, which is not
> > there when I am running same command from bash.
> >
> > How to reproduce. I am working with postgres sources, so download latest
> > source, i.e. https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v13.0/
> > ./confiugre it and in some separate dir write a Makefile that runs make
> > form
> > the dir with the sources
> >
> > all:
> >         make -C /home/nataraj/test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres
> >
> > and then run make, it will finish with "No such file or directory" error.
>
> Yep.  This is presumably a bug in the postgres build system.  The
> workaround is to add "unset MAKELEVEL; " at the start of the recipe, ala:
>
> all:
>          unset MAKELEVEL; ${MAKE} -C
> /home/nataraj/test/make-ci/zzz/build/postgres
>
> I don't recall the details of why MAKELEVEL causes the postgres build to
> trip up, but unsetting it has worked for years at $DAYJOB.

Thanx, Kaz Kylheku, after you mail I noted that I've explored this ENV problem
with `export` command, but I should do it with `env` as you suggested.

Using env, I came to the sane conclusion as Philip Guenther (thank you too)
that the cause of all my problems here is MAKELEVEL env var.

Thank you all for helping solving this case!
--
Software Developer: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~014a87e140ff02c0da
Body-oriented Therapist: https://vk.com/nataraj_rebalancing  (Russian)