GNU Makefile ule

From: Ming Cheng
Subject: GNU Makefile ule
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:26:55 +0000

Hi Help desk,

I have a xxx.mk file. To this effect there are a couple lines I can't figure
out how make command works:

modules := abc
abc_type := static_library
abc_target := libabc.a

I asked the same question to gcc-help and was given some advices to check your
manual; especially chapter 6 and 10. At the same time I was asked to clarify
further to the right team.  I checked the PDF file and did not find any
description like {module}_type/{module}_target rule. My question is whether
there is an implicit rule that make cmd will try to find
{module}_type/{module}_target variables according to defined modules?

Thanks
Ming