Re: Using Guile in a Makefile

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Using Guile in a Makefile
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 00:28:23 -0500

On Wed, 2022-12-14 at 13:12 +0100, johol wrote:
> FOO = $(guile (fnord ā€œF N O R Dā€))

I'm not sure what environment you're using, but my version of Guile
doesn't work with these special UTF-8 quote characters you're using
here: ā€œ and ā€.

When I try to use them, and the sample makefile you've provided, I get
all sorts of bizarre errors from the Guile interpreter.

If I replace these characters with standard ASCII double-quote
characters " then it seems to work fine:

  $ cat Makefile
  define FNORD
  ;; Simple initial Guile-test
  (define (fnord value)
     value)
  endef

  # Internalize the Guile code
  $(guile $(FNORD))

  FOO = $(guile (fnord "F N O R D"))
  $(info $$FOO is [$(FOO)])

  fnord: ; for i in "$(FOO)"; do echo $$i; done

  $ make
  $FOO is [F N O R D]
  for i in "F N O R D"; do echo $i; done
  F N O R D

If you don't see this behavior you'll need to provide more details such
as which version of Guile you compiled with.