help-mcsim

avalanche

From: Flora Weston
Subject: avalanche
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:41:23 -0700

The inertial mass of a system ofbodies can even be regarded as a measure of its energy. That my definitionsatisfies this demand is indisputable. But the metre-rod is moving with the velocity v relative to K. gifThis system of equations is known as the Lorentz transformation. By means of thetheory of relativity they have been united into one law. 06a ,and for stiII greater velocities the square-root becomes imaginary. It is a different matter when the distance has to be judged from therailway line. Here also the velocity cplays the part of an unattainable limiting velocity. As a matter of fact, according to classicalmechanics, time is absolute, i. Let us now consider a seconds-clock which is permanently situated atthe origin (x1=0) of K1. As a naturalconsequence, however, the following question arises :Are two events (e. Nevertheless we must now draw attention to the fact that a theory ofthis phenomenon was given by H. In thefollowing pages we shall present the fundamental ideas of the specialtheory of relativity. But the experiment gave a negative result -- afact very perplexing to physicists. If referred to the system K1, the propagation oflight takes place according to this equation. Instead ofthe equation (A) we then obtain the equation eq. Writing the _expression_ for theenergy in the form eq. We were led to that conflict by the considerations of Section 6,which are now no longer tenable. It is clear that we have the problem of Section 6 again before us. As a matter of fact, according to classicalmechanics, time is absolute, i. This is shown by the fourth equation ofthe Lorentz transformation: eq. Then the number which tells us how often the rod has to be laid downis the required distance. Before we deal with this, we shall introduce the following incidentalconsideration. Let me add a final remark of a fundamental nature. We thus see that thevelocity of transmission relative to the reference-body K1 is alsoequal to c. 2), this problem is solved by means of theequations : eq. theprinciple of the physical relativity of all uniform motion. What is the lengthof the metre-rod relatively to the system K? the contracted length being proportional to theexpression eq.