help-mcsim

RE: [Help-mcsim] MCSim on Cygwin

From: Hansell, Timothy A CTR USAF AFMC 711 HPW/RHPB
Subject: RE: [Help-mcsim] MCSim on Cygwin
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:05:09 -0400

I'm less concerned about using DLL's versus statically linking libraries and
executables than I am about trying to come up with a stable way to build and
use MCSim on a windows (or even a Mac OS) platform. In both cases I have
found only anecdotal accounts of how people have been able to manually
install and use it rather than specific and clear instructions.

I think too, the benefit to making an open source product available is to
allow the community to enhance the source and the documentation regarding a
wide variety of platforms. Open source that compiles only on a limited
platform is not much more useful than a proprietary tool.

I'm coming at MCSim not so much as a biological modeling end user, but
rather as a computer scientist who has been asked to evaluate, recommend and
provide local support for such tools as would enhance the capabilities of
our team of modelers. I'm more than willing to help improve the portability
of MCSim if it would help make it more useful to us in the process.

-tim