help-mcsim

Re: Integration problem

From: fredomatic
Subject: Re: Integration problem
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:14:24 +0200

Hi!
The solution to too much accuracy required is to INCREASE the tolerance
to errors, not to decrease it. Relative and absolute tolerances of 1E-6
are usually easy to meet for most problems, but you can go to 1E-4, for
example. I would not go much higher than that, because you risk
instability. You can also play with the stiffness flag, and you could
also try the Cvodes integrator, but I would fist check that, with
average parameter values, a single simple simulation works. I would also
check the model mass balance (or similar conservation requirement),
because integration problems often happen when some state variables grow
out of hand. Finally, I would check whether the prior distributions
assigned generate unrealistically high or low values, because that leads
to difficulties in integration. In that case, it is better to use
truncated distributions.
Best regards.
Frederic