Re: [Help-nano] Wrapping Text?

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Wrapping Text?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:16:23 -0500

nocturnal wrote:

<snip>

> I can't figure out how to make nano wrap text, has this feature been
> disabled?

No, and according to what you say below, nothing you've done should be
disabling it either, which makes this a very odd problem.  Wrapping is
enabled by default if support for it is compiled in and it's not
overridden by something like the .nanorc.

<snip>

> I have not disabled wrapping at compilation and i have even tried to
> run with unset nowrap in .nanorc. I'm using FreeBSD and compiled it
> from the ports with --enable-nanorc added to the configuration script
> arguments. My ~/.nanorc is not being ignored because i added some
> syntax highlighting to it without problems.

I need more information before I can help.  What version of nano are you
using?  Does the wrapping toggle (Meta-L in nano 1.3.x, and Meta-W in
previous versions) work properly if nano wasn't built with
--enable-tiny?  Is nano built with --disable-wrapping-as-root, and, if
so, are you running it as root when the problem occurs?

> The comedy of it all is that i found an old bug from the Nano 0.8.
> days where a segfault was caused by a line being wrapped at the last
> line of the edit window but i found no information on how to actually
> enable wrapping of lines in nano! ;)

Figures ;)