Re: [Help-nano] Nano crashed when doing a search

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Nano crashed when doing a search
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:38:36 -0500

On 9/4/07, Stan Horwitz <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks for the information.

No problem.

> Please clarify. What action do you recommend I take in order to
> resolve this problem, or do you foresee needing to update Nano to
> resolve this issue?

Upgrading nano (e.g. making it use its own version of the function
that's broken in this glibc) might be possible, but it wouldn't be much
help, since nano isn't the only program affected by the issue.  Besides,
the issue isn't in the official version of glibc 2.3.3.  If it were, I'd
be inclined to work around it.  (In fact, nano did work around a
crashing bug in the official version of glibc 2.1.3 for a while.)  The
issue is caused by one of the patches Suse applied to glibc 2.3.3 (and
several later versions).  This makes it their problem, since I have no
control over glibc and/or who patches it.

I'd recommend either (a) upgrading to Suse 10,1, since the issue is
fixed there, or (b) updating your Suse 9 installation to fix the issue
(assuming Suse has an update to 9.x to fix this problem; I'm guessing
you'll have to talk to someone associated with Suse to figure out the
details).  Sorry I can't be of more help here...