Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:24:38 -0400

On 3/25/15, Fergus Daly <address@hidden> wrote:
>>   I still don't like to burden nano with format conversions.
>
> That's absolutely fine!
> Actually I greatly prefer the behaviours (both standard and with formatting
> options) of nano 1.3.4 and will carry on using it.
> But of course more modern versions must reflect the originators preferences
> and priorities.
> At least as a result of this interesting correspondence I know that 2.4.0
> does not do format conversions; and that this behaviour is intentional
> rather than accidental.

Hey Fergus,

I'm curious what your use case is here.  Do you frequently edit files
which are DOS format (i.e. someone sends you a file or you copy it
from another system) and you then intend to keep them in Unix format?
In that case I agree our current system is less than perfect, namely
you have to toggle saving back to Unix format by toggling with Meta-D
at the save file prompt.

The design decision we made was what Benno said above, that generally
people will want to stay in the same format that the file was in
before ediitng, and we'd imagine people converting files en masse
would use a conversion tool versus opening files in the editor.  We
still do allow the conversion, it just takes an extra step when
saving.  That said, if you would be fine with an option to the effect
of 'always convert to unix format' which due to the lack of command
line flags would probably need to be a .nanorc option, we could do
that in 2.5 series.

I do hate to think we're leaving users behind though and am curious,
are there other things in older versions of nano you'd like to see
preserved or configurable?