help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 20:56:57 +0100

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015, at 12:21, Fergus Daly wrote:
> So (i) I need to <SAVE and EXIT> as Unix files;
> and (ii) there is something rather nice and sparse
> about text files formatted in this way.
> So - as it happens - it suited me for the default mode to be
> "if not Unix, convert to Unix" with -D (DOS) and -M (Mac)
> and -N (leave unchanged) as the obvious switches.

I think a single switch would be enough: -u (long option: --unix),
with the meaning: forget what the original format of the file was
and by default offer to save it as a Unix file.  (The user can still
override the saving with the M-D and M-M toggles, but without them,
any file that the user edits will be converted to Unix format.)

I don't think that corresponding options --dos and --mac are
needed: we haven't yet heard of people who always want to save
any files in DOS or in Mac format.  Also, having a single option
is nice and sparse and Unix-like.  :)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be