Re: [Help-nano] Too many errors from stdin

From: Christian Burger
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Too many errors from stdin
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:25:06 +0100

Oh, I see, thanks for taking the time. Version 2.9.* works fine. I should have thought of updating to "unstable" before reporting it. :) Again, thanks, Christian

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Christian,

Op 20-02-18 om 14:58 schreef Christian Burger:
> in this message
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-nano/2017-09/msg00007.html
> you provided a patch asking if it works, when you get the error message "Too many
> errors from stdin" during the start of nano. I encountered said error and wanted
> to follow up — though I did not report the problem in the first place.
>
> In my case your patch does help. Nano (version 2.8.7 in Gentoo) starts again
> without any complaints.

Thanks for confirming.  :)

Since then, the problem has been fixed properly by Lion Yang in this
commit:  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?id=f0d36855

If you unmask in your Gentoo install the "unstable" version of nano,
you will get 2.9.3, which has the fix (fixed since 2.9.0) -- not really
a fix, more of a workaround, but anyway, it prevents the problem.

> In my case the culprit causing the weird tty state was
> the `yarn` command from the package "sys-apps/yarn-1.3.2" (https://yarnpkg.com/).
> The program does not crash, but finishes just fine. Maybe it's also a bug on
> their side?

I would say yes: the program should return the terminal to the state
it was in when the program started.

Benno