Re: More colors?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: More colors?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:32:03 +0100

Hello Sébastien,

Op 22-11-19 om 12:50 schreef Seb:
> When I program, I'd like the comments (starting with "#") to be in a slightly
> different color, such as cyan2, through the syntax coloring scheme. It is then
> that Nano's limitations on colors strike. A configuration directive such as
>     color cyan2 "([^\\]|^)#.*"
>     color "#fff" "([^\\]|^)#.*"
> produces an error.
>
> Is there a way around this that I did not find?

Currently nano knows just eight colors -- or sixteen when the terminal
supports bright.

> Or is there a plan to introduce more colors, by name or by hex code?

This request has been made a few times, even with patches included:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6873
  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8553

That latter patch was discussed a little:
 https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2014-10/msg00000.html

The discussion was revived three years later:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2017-12/msg00129.html
(the thread continues in the next year)
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-01/msg00005.html

Two weeks later Brand posts a first set of patches that add extra colors:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-01/msg00099.html
And three weeks later a second set:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-02/msg00068.html

But this gets so extensive and complicated that I finally reject it:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-02/msg00125.html

So... even though also I would like to be able to use a handful of
extra colors (mostly because the existing darkest ones are too dark
for comfort on a dark background, and the lightest ones too light on
a light background), I don't want all those complications.

Benno