Re: selecting text with mouse includes linenumbers

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: selecting text with mouse includes linenumbers
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:53:20 +0100

Op 04-02-2024 om 10:52 schreef Andreas Radke:
Using nano without mouse support using mouse or with mouse support
enabled and using CTRL+mouse to select text and linenumbers enabled

(On an Xfce terminal Shift+drag selects text when `--mouse` is active.)

will always include the linenumber and space character before the text
copied to the buffer.

It is the terminal that does the text selection, nano has no part
in this.  Vim (with :set number) works the same way for me: also
the line numbers get selected.

On Xfce terminal, when holding Ctrl, one can make a block selection.
In this way one could select text without selecting also the line
numbers, but I agree that this is awkward and requires too much
precision -- then it's easier to just toggle M-N first.

If there is some way to tell the terminal to restrict text selection
to a specific area, I would like to hear about it.

Benno