help-ncurses

chose

From: Candida Carlton
Subject: chose
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:56:02 -0700

But the more you let life cometo you, the more you will find yourself bothering about religion.
Mr Hammingtap: let me introduce you to the Governor of theUnexpected Isles, Sir Charles Farwaters.
This is Mr Hugo Hyering, political secretary to the Isles.
Seems to me theres some sort of magic about this oldcave thats dangerous. Prola: our young friend here may really be a new sort of man.
Because life never came to me like it came toRhodes.
The oldfamily name is Hummingtop; but my grandfather changed it when hewas at Oxford.
We might take himinto the family for a while, as an experiment. I wonder am I a dispensable or anindispensable.
SCENE IIA grassy cliff top overhanging the sea.
But the more you let life cometo you, the more you will find yourself bothering about religion. How can one help being attracted, Lady Farwaters?
But she put it as if there was a difference. There is another consideration that weighs with us: at leastwith me. There will be astruggle with public opinion in the empire. Lady Farwaters sits down in the middle of the other stone seat. The oldfamily name is Hummingtop; but my grandfather changed it when hewas at Oxford. Prola and Pra come down the steps, followed by Sir CharlesFarwaters and by Hugo Hyering C.
Thats why I got out, and made for the seaair. He has many names; but he answers to Pra when youcall him. There are nets below, and a palisade tokeep out the sharks.
Well, let life come to you I always say; and dont cryout until youre hurt.
You see, my father is a famous biological chemist.
If you don’t mind, Ill bid you all goodmorning.
The Emigration Officer rises into view in a spotless white robe. And they wanted you to minister to them spiritually? Oh, as a clergyman I could not be attracted by morethan one at a time.
The empire is forthose who can live in it, not for those who can only die in it.
Those images are not idols: they are personificationsof the forces of nature by which we all live.
What about the poor lad you kickedover the cliff?
I am a stranger here; and I could not find aroad up from the beach. In the twoforemost shrines two girl-goddesses sit crosslegged.
The ground within reach of their arms is enchanted.
Providence seems to have thrown you on this shore for the purpose,like Jonah. She says shes waiting to see what will happen to her.
And that is where you come in, young man.