Re: strings and setstr

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: strings and setstr
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 14:45:50 EDT

: Because OCTAVE cannot deal with Vectors of strings,
: I used length of string as a index of the vector
: length=500*number_of_elements+string_length.

So far, string handling is a weak point.  It needs to be improved, but
I haven't had the time to work on this yet.

: But abs can't be used to get ASCII codes

Abs will do what you want if you first set the variable
`implicit_str_to_num_ok' to be "true".  The default value is "false"
because it seems to me that it should normally be an error to silently
convert strings to numbers.

: or setstr isn't supported.

The `setstr' function will be in 0.72.

--
John W. Eaton      | The exam demonstrates a comminuted, slightly overlapping
address@hidden | angulated fracture of the midfifth metatarsal.