Re: octave 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.3

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: octave 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.3
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 18:35:48 CST

address@hidden replies:
address@hidden (Vinayak Dutt) wrote:
#
#:  I had written earlier about the problems of compiling octave 1.1
#: on SunOS 4.1.3 with gcc-2.6.0 and Sun F77 2.0.1.
#:
#:  I thought I had fixed compile problems by adding
#: /usr/lang/SC2.0.1/values-Xs.o (/usr/lang is the directory where
#: SparcCompilers are installed). It removed the undefined __lib_version
#: symbol problem. But now I get problems with loading some library
#: functions when octave is run. For example, when I run function
#: image() in octave, I get following error message:
#:
#: octave:1> image()
#: error: failed to link library /usr/lang/SC2.0.1/values-Xs.o
#
#The fix of adding values-Xs.o to FLIBS may be ok, but then we also
#need to remove any .o files from FLIB_LIST in Makeconf.
#

values-Xs.o is the only .o file in FLIB_LIST :-(

i think gnu dld might have problems working with sparc objects generated
by sparc compilers ???

i can't figure out what exactly could be ther problem. so temporarily
i have compiled octave without dld (so my binary is something like
5mb+ in size), but i have working octave, which matters more to me
as i have got my phd thesis work to finish :^0

our lab is in transition situation, migrating to
solaris 2.4 finally. so i would rather wait till that os upgrade and
work on compiling octave for solaris and look into gnu dld problem
with solaris. i suppose that problem would exist for solaris also :-(

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * graduate student, ultrasound research