Re: Installing Octave 1.1.0 Linux

From: Phil Johnson
Subject: Re: Installing Octave 1.1.0 Linux
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 23:20:53 -0800 (PST)

> I wonder whether anyone has some suggestions as to what may be going wrong:
>
> I have tried installing Octave 1.1.0 on a Linux box  (ver 1.1.59)
> with gcc 2.6.3 and libg++ 2.6.2 and (on one box I get the
> following error)
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr2/octave-1.1.0/src'
> c++ -c  -I. -I../src -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -g -O
> arith-ops.cc
[....]

The reason for the problems is that the octave configuration script fails
to recognize that linux has a lot of the math stuff already and tries to
use its own.  This results in the conflicts.  The source of the error isn't
octave per se, rather that on linux alone libc isn't being linked in
with libm automatically when the test programs are compiled.  Octave 1.1.1
should have a work-around included.

Although 1.1.1 is coming soon, you can compile now by adding -lc to the
LIBS definition in the configure program directly above the checks for
isinf and other math related stuff.  Somewhere around line 2850.  Be
sure to remove config.cache before you reconfigure.

Phil

--
Phil Johnson                             Email: address@hidden