Re: Octave 1.1.1

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Octave 1.1.1
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 10:59:42 +0100 (GMT)

> I am trying to upgrade ovtave to version 1.1.1. But this new version
> needs gcc-2.6 for compilation. Since I only have gcc-2.5.8, I have to
> upgrade gcc as well. Can anyone give me a suggestion how to upgrade
> gcc? Or is it possible I can find the binary code for octave?
> I am using linux 1.1.57 in IBM-PC Compatible. Please send to me at
> address@hidden
> Thanks!!
>
> yetmen wang
> address@hidden

Hi,
A pre-compiled octave-1.1.1 binary for Linux can be found at the
primary octave ftp site:

        ftp.che.utexas.edu:/pub/octave/BINARIES

There are sub-directories for different systems including one for Linux.
The file octave-1.1.1.tar.gz contains the executable binary, the m-files,
documentation, info, etc - the lot!.

Octave 1.1.1 complains if it finds a version of libf2c earlier than 0.10
(but it seemed to work anyway on the version 0.9 which I had at the time).
Probably, if you have linux 1.1.57 you may have libf2c.so.0.10 or later;
but if not you can get version 0.11 from a number of places
(I used
 src.doc.ic.ac.uk:
    /computing/operating-systems/Linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/devel/fortran
)
If you do install this, BEWARE that, despite what the libf2c README says,
after copying the three library files to the specified directories
you MUST run "ldconfig" to install the shared library in the shared-lib
database. Also you will probably find, as I did, that you have to compile the
libraries and not use the pre-compiled ones, because otherwise ldconfig
will complain about "not ZMAGIC", and fail to install it.

I hope this helps: have fun with the new octave - it seems to work
really well.

Ted.                                     (address@hidden)