Re: Polar plots Matlab vs Octave/Gnuplot?

From: John Utz
Subject: Re: Polar plots Matlab vs Octave/Gnuplot?
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John;

On Tue, 2 May 1995, John Eaton wrote:

> John Utz <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> : this code :
> :
> : circle = -pi:2*pi/200:pi;
> : polar(circle, ones(1,length(circle)),'r');
> :
> : provides a nice concentric red circle superimposed over a "bullseye" grid.
> :
> : how do i get the same thing to happen in octave? I assume the problem is
> : simply more gnuplot weirdness, and is probably easy to fix, but i cant
> : seem to figure out what i am doing wrong...
>
> There is no way to control the aspect ratio of plots made with
> gnuplot, so you probably won't have much luck getting a circle.

ummm how about set size 0.8, 1.0 ?

> I also don't know if you can make it draw a polar grid for you (unless
> you want to specify all of the grid lines yourself).

umm set grid does the trick

i actually was able to hack on polar.m to get the grid and the aspect ratio
stuff to work... i patterned it after the gnuplot demo file "poldat.dem"

  set size .8, 1.0;
  set nologscale;
  set polar;
  set grid;
  set noborder;

the EXASPERATING thing is that i can now get PART of the CIRCLE! This is
where i gave up and called for help. Playing with yrange affects the plot
in ways that seem to make no sense

any suggestions will be appreciated....

> I am currently working on integrating plplot with Octave, so I think
> all of this will change for the better with 1.2.

this is probably a wise decision, it will wind up setting things back a
bit, but it just seems to be a bad idea to let this gnuplot thing hold
octave back...

> (No, I still don't know when that will be ready :-).

 no problem , we'll be here...

> Thanks,
>
> jwe

 John Utz       address@hidden
        idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life