Recursion in Octave (was: Re: Using quad() ...)

From: John Eaton
Subject: Recursion in Octave (was: Re: Using quad() ...)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 18:40:08 -0500

Octave is intended to support recursion.  I believe this works
correctly for any functions that don't use any non-recursive built-in
functions (though the implementation is somewhat slow).

Unfortunatly, I don't have a handy list of those built-in functions
that cannot be used recursively.  Would someone like to make a list of
those functions which cannot be used recursively?  Even if the
functions cannot be fixed, it would be useful to have the list in the
manual.

Also, since most of the built-in numerical functions are ultimately
implemented in Fortran, they are not likely to work recursively
without using special compiler flags or modifying the code itself.
(Typically, one would need to do things like eliminate the need for
any SAVEd or COMMON variables.)

Thanks,

jwe