Re: Emacs mode for octave

From: John C. Campbell
Subject: Re: Emacs mode for octave
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 95 09:18:26 -0600

"Hr. Meier" <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hello,
|
| does anybody know if there exists an emacs-mode for octave ?

There is an octave-mode.el distributed with octave-1.1.1.tar.gz.  I do
not know if it was distributed with earlier version.  I looked at the
tar file on our machines (ftp.che.wisc.edu) to make sure it was there.

I have also started using emacs font-lock-mode for octave.  I'm no
lisp expert (hell, I'm no lisp novice), but I found some help to do
this.  See the code below.  As you can imagine from the colors I chose
that my clothes rarely match.

I did have to change the octave-mode.el to ignore ' as a quote
character.  That means that I have to use " for quotes for the colors
to work.  This is not MATLAB compatible so I sent them a message and
complained.  Version 5.0 will accept both ' and " as a quote (all
right, maybe not, but it would be nice if MATLAB would try to get
Octave compatible).

If you have a better color scheme send it to me.

John

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave" nil t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

(setq octave-mode-hook
      (list 'turn-on-abbrevs 'turn-on-auto-fill 'turn-on-font-lock))

(defun turn-on-font-lock ()
    (if (eq window-system 'x)
        (progn
          (font-lock-mode)
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-function-name-face "LightSkyBlue")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-keyword-face "Wheat")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-reference-face "Aquamarine")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-string-face "Salmon")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-type-face "PaleGreen")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-variable-name-face "LightGoldenrod")
          (set-face-foreground
           'font-lock-comment-face "IndianRed"))))

--------
John C. Campbell                    : Dept. of Chemical Engineering
address@hidden               : University of Wisconsin-Madison
phone: (608)265-2378                : 1415 Engineering Dr.
fax:   (608)262-5434                : Madison, WI 53706-1691