figure command in pre-2.0

From: Mike Blatchley
Subject: figure command in pre-2.0
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 07:36:01 -0700 (MST)

I have a need to plot in multiple figures, so I downloaded octave pre-2.0
(specifically version 1.91 i586-unknown-linux).  Also, I grabbed a beta
copy of gnuplot:

        G N U P L O T
        Linux version 3.5 (pre 3.6)
        patchlevel beta 315
        last modified Sun Sep 29 22:10:39 BST 1996

And, gnuplot_has_frames=1.  However, I don't seem to get multiple figures
when I do something like:

  x=1:10;
  plot (x)
  figure (2)
  plot (2*x)

Am I doing something wrong, or does this beta version of gnuplot not
support multiple plot frames?  If not, does anyone know which one will
and where I can get it?

Thanks,

Mike
address@hidden