Re: HARDCOPY

From: Friedrich Leisch
Subject: Re: HARDCOPY
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:11:37 +0100

> Hello Octave community,
> I just ftp-ed the Octave binaries for Solaris - and they work!

> My first try with Octave was to make a hardcopy from a simple plot.
> I found that 'set term postscript' gives a black-and-white Postscript file.

> My questions are:
> - how do I get a color Postscript file?
> - how do I get an encapsulated Postscript file?

this is what the gnuplot help page says ... octave uses gnuplot for
all plotting, so it's probably best if you take a look at a gnuplot
manual or say 'help' after invoking gnuplot from the command line...

all gnuplot commands should be available at the octave prompt.

Have a nice weekend,
Fritz

--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------

 Several options may be set in the `postscript` driver.

 Syntax:
       set terminal postscript {<mode>} {color | monochrome}
                               {solid | dashed} {<duplexing>}
                               {enhanced | noenhanced}
                               {"<fontname>"} {<fontsize>}

 where <mode> is `landscape`, `portrait`, `eps` or `default`
 `solid` draws all plots with solid lines, overriding any dashed patterns;
 <duplexing> is `defaultplex`, `simplex` or `duplex` ("duplexing" in
 PostScript is the ability of the printer to print on both sides of the same
 page---don't set this if your printer can't do it);
 `enhanced` activates the "Enhanced PostScript" features (subscripts,
 superscripts and mixed fonts);
 `"<fontname>"` is the name of a valid PostScript font; and `<fontsize>` is
 the size of the font in PostScript points.

 `default` mode sets all options to their defaults: `landscape`, `monochrome`,
 `dashed`, `defaultplex`, `noenhanced`, "Helvetica" and 14pt.
  Default size of a PostScript plot is 10 inches wide and 7 inches high.

 `eps` mode generates EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) output, which is just
 regular PostScript with some additional lines that allow the file to be
 imported into a variety of other applications.  (The added lines are
 PostScript comment lines, so the file may still be printed by itself.)  To
 get EPS output, use the `eps` mode and make only one plot per file.  In `eps`
 mode the whole plot, including the fonts, is reduced to half of the default
 size.

 Examples:
       set terminal postscript default       # old postscript
       set terminal postscript enhanced      # old enhpost
       set terminal postscript landscape 22  # old psbig
       set terminal postscript eps 14        # old epsf1
       set terminal postscript eps 22        # old epsf2
       set size 0.7,1.4; set term post portrait color "Times-Roman" 14

                         Friedrich  Leisch
 Institut für Statistik                      Tel: (+43 1) 58801 4541
 Technische Universität Wien                 Fax: (+43 1)  504 14 98
 Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      address@hidden
 A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch
      PGP public key http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/pgp.key