invoking cca

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: invoking cca
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:58:21 -0500 (CDT)

On 14-Aug-1998, Dr. G. Buerger <address@hidden> wrote:

| sorry for my recent posting regarding the `cca' problem. It had the
| simple answer that there was an old script file named cca.m in my
| directory, and I didn't know about octave's capabilities of invoking
| scripts by just typing their base name.
|
| But then one must carefully distinguish script and function names, or
| at least take "." out of the LOADPATH.
|
| Thanx,
|       Gerd
|
| ... thinking of it, LOADPATH does not distinguish, say, ...m/signal
| and ...m/misc, so that one should really keep things clean and remove
| or rename unused files.

Sorry, I missed this before I replied (too much mail has stacked up
lately :-( ).

Still, I don't understand why Octave was hanging when you tried to
execute the cca script.  Was that happening because of something
particular to your script, or is it a bug in the Emacs mode for
Octave?  If it seems to be the latter, can you tell me precisely how
to reproduce the problem?

In any case, I believe that you are right that Octave does not
currently have a way to warn you that there may be multiple files with
the same name in your LOADPATH.  Something like that would be a nice
feature to have though.

Thanks,

jwe