Re: make on Solaris 2.6

From: Michael Hanke
Subject: Re: make on Solaris 2.6
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 08:04:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, heberf wrote:

> Thanks for the help on the last question I had while trying to install on my
> Solaris 2.6 machine.  The answer was to put /usr/ccs/bin in my path.
>
> Now I've got a stranger problem.  I'm using gcc 2.7.2.3 and things seem to go
> fine until near the end.  Then I get pages of errors (part included below)
> which
> end with this message.
>

> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
> make[2]: *** [liboctave.so] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/octave-2.0.13/liboctave'
> make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/octave-2.0.13'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I've never seen anything like this.  What's going on?
>
> Heber
I had this problem, too. It is a little bit weired. The reason is
that you have explicitely chosen to build a dynamic executable while
some of the modules/library are only available as static modules (or
ar to be inluded statically). Your error messages indicate that this
is libstdc++.a You should be ensure that libstdc++.so is used.
Unfortunately, depending on your Solaris (and gcc) installation the
problematic modules may be others. On my machine, e.g., the problem
was produced by a 4-byte module from a licensing library! In any
case, you should figure out exactly which libraries are included
(using g++ -v).

Hope that helps.

Michael

(more about the errors below) >
> cd liboctave ; make all
> make[2]: Entering directory `/data/octave-2.0.13/liboctave'
> c++ -shared -o liboctave.so pic/Bounds.o pic/CollocWt.o pic/DAE.o pic/DASSL.o
> pi
> c/FEGrid.o pic/LinConst.o pic/LPsolve.o pic/LSODE.o pic/NLEqn.o pic/Quad.o
> pic/R
> ange.o pic/cmd-hist.o pic/data-conv.o pic/dir-ops.o pic/f2c-main.o
> pic/file-ops.
> o pic/filemode.o pic/getopt.o pic/getopt1.o pic/idx-vector.o pic/lo-ieee.o
> pic/l
> o-mappers.o pic/lo-specfun.o pic/lo-utils.o pic/mach-info.o pic/mkdir.o
> pic/oct-
> alloc.o pic/oct-glob.o pic/oct-term.o pic/pathsearch.o pic/prog-args.o
> pic/renam
> e.o pic/rmdir.o pic/str-vec.o pic/tempname.o pic/tempnam.o pic/Array.o
> pic/Array
> 2.o pic/Array3.o pic/DiagArray2.o pic/MArray.o pic/MArray2.o
> pic/MDiagArray2.o p
> ic/base-lu.o pic/Array-C.o pic/Array-b.o pic/Array-ch.o pic/Array-i.o
> pic/Array-
> d.o pic/Array-s.o pic/Array-str.o pic/MArray-C.o pic/MArray-ch.o
> pic/MArray-i.o
> pic/MArray-d.o pic/MArray-s.o pic/Array-flags.o pic/CColVector.o
> pic/CDiagMatrix
> .o pic/CMatrix.o pic/CRowVector.o pic/CmplxAEPBAL.o pic/CmplxCHOL.o
> pic/CmplxDET
> .o pic/CmplxHESS.o pic/CmplxLU.o pic/CmplxQR.o pic/CmplxQRP.o
> pic/CmplxSCHUR.o p
> ic/CmplxSVD.o pic/EIG.o pic/MArray-misc.o pic/chMatrix.o pic/dColVector.o
> pic/dD
> iagMatrix.o pic/dMatrix.o pic/dRowVector.o pic/dbleAEPBAL.o pic/dbleCHOL.o
> pic/d
> bleDET.o pic/dbleGEPBAL.o pic/dbleHESS.o pic/dbleLU.o pic/dbleQR.o
> pic/dbleQRP.o
>  pic/dbleSCHUR.o pic/dbleSVD.o
>
> Text relocation remains                         referenced
>     against symbol                  offset      in file
> _vt.22_IO_ostream_withassign.3ios   0x2d20
> /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a(iostr
> eam.o)
SNIPP

|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       address@hidden               |
|                               address@hidden       |