Tuned BLAS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Tuned BLAS
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:45:17 -0500 (CDT)

On 26-Aug-1998, Fred Bacon <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm looking to build octave on a powerpc machine running linux.  I have
| recently built a version of BLAS which has been tuned for the powerpc
| chip.  It is blocked to make efficient use of the L1 on chip cache and a
| special ppc instruction.  Tests of some codes have shown that the
| performance is doubled on basic matrix operations.  I would like to be
| able to use this library when I build octave.  Is this going to be an
| easy thing to modify?

It should not be that hard.  You can just add your library to the
final link step in the src/Makefile and either remove blas from the
list of subdirectories to process in the libcruft/Makefile or delete
the specific files from the libcruft/blas directory that your library
replaces, whichever is appropriate.

Is the library free software?

jwe